Zuma Beach Umbrellas

Posted in Beach Culture, Open Spaces, Photography by Keegan on August 22, 2012

I have been shooting a lot of film lately on a Canon 1N. This is a series of images I shot of umbrellas at Zuma Beach on one roll of Portra film. I have been increasingly interested in objects that exist individually, such as a single umbrella in the same. Also, it plays a similar roll to these collages I have been doing of circles above horizons, just in a slightly different manner.

During the summer months the lifeguards throw up the black ball flag and you cant surf past Noon, so with the weather being nice I burned the shit out of the bottom of my feet after getting called in by the lifeguards and I walked up the beach until the roll was finished. Click for

1. stephsoul said, on August 22, 2012 at 7:37 am

lol, that is a very nice idea :)

2. michael sean symonds said, on August 22, 2012 at 8:30 am

What a great series & visual commentary on beach culture…

3. jerrymennenga said, on August 25, 2012 at 6:53 am

I like your umbrella series. Very creative and a nice eye. I would though liked to have seen you be more creative with your cropping of some of the images because I see other opportunities for some very nice looks that you captured.

4. nicolesteacy said, on August 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm

This is the best thing I’ve seen in a long time. I was recently at Zuma Beach for the first time (I’m from PA), and I wish I’d thought of this!

I’ve been appreciating all your work for quite some time, but this really stands out to me :)

5. Beach umbrelas | Bferironfabric said, on September 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

[...] Zuma Beach Umbrellas « Keegan Gibbs – Blog [...]

6. Christoper Hennig said, on February 18, 2013 at 1:32 am

The umbrellas are very beneficial as they provide protection and shade from the oppressive heat of summer as also against the monsoon rains. Apart from providing the much needed shade and protection during rain or sunshine, market umbrellas are very advantageous as they cover a much wider area and a lot many people can use it instead of only one or two. .

Our new website