ghost bike

Posted in New York, Photography, Random Photos by Keegan on March 10, 2009

UPDATE:

The homegirl Sage just sent me a link with an explanation HERE. Sage is also a great photographer. Check out her work HERE.

_______

On the way home today I say this bike and at first had no idea what the story was behind it until I read the sign after I put the photos on my computer. The sign reads “In 2008, at least 14 bicyclists were killed in New York City.  This Ghost Bike is a memorial for all those whose deaths never made the news.”

Im not sure if this is a city sanctioned thing, but its pretty cool, and I like how they refer to it as a ghost bike.

whitebike-1

I am going to start publishing exposure info with photos that I post on here from time to time.

ISO 640 with a 24mm 1.4L canon lens @ f1.8 1/20th of a second. Shot on a Canon 5d MK II.

1. mika said, on March 10, 2009 at 3:42 am

yay, thanks for the exposure info. the bike sure is creepy.

2. katelin said, on March 11, 2009 at 4:03 am

that’s really cool and i love the photo

3. linda gibbs said, on March 12, 2009 at 7:55 am

so cool. I feel like a get an art lesson/Ny exposure every time I log onto your site. Love it. thanks

4. Riley John Gibbs said, on March 17, 2009 at 11:38 pm

There was a memorial bike ride or some other kind of event for this a few weeks ago that I remember reading about in the New York Times.

5. culture vulture said, on April 15, 2009 at 2:33 am

it’s 2009 and your just up on ghost bikes now????????

6. Bon said, on April 20, 2009 at 9:48 pm

I have walked past this bike before…and I forgot to remember it. Thank you.