pits

Posted in Indonesia, Photography, Surfing, Travel by Keegan on June 2, 2009

KGibbs-9158

The last couple of days I have been surfing a ton. So much that I woke up this morning slightly unmotivated to get out there, despite it being sick. So seeing I have been surfing more than shooting photos, I figure it would be a good excuse to get out in the water with the camera to share what the waves look like out front.

Click Clack for…

All the photos were shot with my Canon 5D mkii, inside of an SPL Waterhousing with a Canon 17-40 f4 shot at 18mm.

A burly inside one complete with washy face.

KGibbs-9092

Below, a 3 shot sequence of a drainer.

KGibbs-9157

KGibbs-9158

KGibbs-9159

It’s a fairly shallow wave, really shallow at low tide, and holds some heavy consequences.

KGibbs-9224

Spitting…

KGibbs-9257

Shutter was slightly too slow for this one.

KGibbs-9122

In between sets, I started fooling around with some “artsy” shots. I am always really fascinated with the way the ocean surface looks from under water, especially in the surf. Below are a couple results from messing around a bit.

KGibbs-9201

KGibbs-9183

KGibbs-9175

I am currently working on a series of photos that revolve around the subjects heads being “decapitated” by foreign objects in the frame. Here, a self portrait utilizing the water surface line for the head obstruction.

KGibbs-9098

The next two images are flipped upside down. The surface of the water being at the bottom of the frames.

KGibbs-9080

This following one is by far my favorite image of the session. By itself, it looks like some sort of outer planet surface or something.

KGibbs-9096

Here is another birds eye view of Temples taken from half way up the sketchy goat trail.

KGibbs-9392

The paddle out zone at semi low tide. Use that rock in the right side of the frame for reference to the photo above. The large rock in the center is the same one.

KGibbs-9382

1. ^^ said, on June 2, 2009 at 4:18 pm

100% captivated … left me breathless… reminds me of emissions of sound and light… best video. wow.

2. Bret said, on June 2, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Hey what kindof camera were you using and case for the camera?

3. Spencer G said, on June 2, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Sick really makes feel like I’m back a temples getting pitted. nice work keegs

4. mbardot said, on June 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Wow – you have captured energy in its most fundamental form! For a moment I was transported there. Thank you. Oh and the 11th shot down . . . no words . . . looks like a close up of dark clouds or even smoke. Freaking awesome!

5. CSaban said, on June 3, 2009 at 5:47 am

These photos are stunning – thought-provoking and soothing. Fabulous work.

6. john hildebrand said, on June 3, 2009 at 6:02 am

wow i really want to get out of town. wish i was with you guys for sure.
    keep up the photos

7. Orangecrab said, on June 3, 2009 at 7:57 am

beautiful photos keegs – really really beautiful- I am so amazed. Can’t wait to look at them on a bigger screen
    Keep it up- these are incredible. Beautifully inspired photos

8. fedmich said, on June 5, 2009 at 12:50 am

Wow, those are amazing and very cool shots 🙂
    Good work.

9. willhouse said, on June 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Your sure living life the right way. haha

10. keithc said, on June 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm

beautiful shots keegan super impressive portfolio, every page is a treat.

11. Keegan said, on June 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Hey Keith! Thanks man for the email much appreciated!

I think you were checking out my blog though. although my “portfolio” site asnt been updated in a very long time as well..

cheers! Keegan